Thursday, May 9, 2013

My camera has its own ways. - Part I

My newest idea is to improve my photography skills. This is the reason I 've searched the Internet for advice. I found a page appropriate to my level of knowledge.

Enchanted

To try out aperture priority mode (P with the Nikon 5100) I've chosen to take photographs of flowers.
I used different aperture settings to achieve the effect of a blurred background while the flower is in proper focus, which worked best with a photograph of a buttercup blossom, because the background was far enough.

Mighty Buttercup

Mighty Buttercup
F/5.3, 1/200 sec, ISO-400
 
 
A second picture shows a pink tulip. Here the background is also blurred, but less. An additional effect here is that my camera was slightly tilted, so that corresponding to this the blurring distributes.
 
 
 Floating Flower

Floating Flower
F/5.3, 1/250 sec, ISO-400
 
In a third photo, which is a photo of daisies in a meadow, the effect is not so distinguishable, but it is interesting to see that background and foreground is blurred and just the middle ground is in focus.
 
 

Daisy Wide Open
Daisy wide open
F/8, 1/100 sec, ISO-100
 

 

Petrified


Next I've experimented with shutter speed priority (S with the Nikon 5100). I took two photographs of running tap water with different shutter speeds. The effect is that with low shutter speed the running water is blurred and with a high speed it appears frozen.
I had to set the ISO value rather high, which is the reason the frozen version with a shutter speed of 1/1600 became rather dark. I had to lighten it up with the photo editing software ViewNx2.


Blurred
Shutter Speed Experiment I - Blurred
F/6.3, 1/60, ISO-1600
Frozen
Shutter Speed Experiment II - Frozen
F/4.8, 1/1600, ISO-1600

I will soon add more of the ways of my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment